Sunday, July 17, 2011

Russian Brides Series

Wedding season is here, the perfect time to honor Russian brides. I know what you’re thinking. The internet. Russia’s infamous buy-a-bride services. But I’m talking about real ones. The lovely ladies of Russia who get married right here. In Moscow and across Russia, it is very popular for brides, grooms and their friends to drive around town in limos or stretch Humvees to take photos. Lots of photos. This goes on in America too, of course. But Russian bridal parties have an obsession with wedding photography. They approach this ritual with a level of passion and determination unseen anywhere else in the world. Perhaps it’s that most Russian women like having themselves photographed anytime – posing like models in parks or in front of major landmarks – so they must take it up a notch at wedding time. Especially on weekends this time of year, bridal parties are running around the city, and running into each other. You can find them fighting it out for time in front of St. Basils Cathedral, or The Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg. A trip down to Red Square in the summer can be like watching a wedding reality show on television. Sometimes wedding couples are fighting. Sometimes everyone is happy. Sometimes everyone is just drunk. It’s very entertaining. In addition to the zeal with which Russian girls approach this event, I think what truly puts these brides in a league of their own are the dresses. I have never seen so many layers of shiny fabric. Lace, beads, short skirts, long skirts, occasionally experimenting with colors that are not white. I think you have to see it to believe it so I am posting my collection of the Russian brides I’ve caught on camera so far. I hope many of my friends in Russia will see these pics and send me their photos too. I will post them as I receive them. The photos range from the lovely to the unbelievable.
 You decide your favorite.
This is just an everyday example of photo posing that we encounter at malls, historic landmarks, the supermarket....no wedding need be involved. Photo credit: Kristen
The boots are my favorite detail.

The man sash is my favorite detail

The champagne bottle is my favorite detail. This bride was the gift that kept giving. Please note the bride lined up for her turn on the bridge.

Pretty

Very pretty
Very shiny

I zoomed here so you could get a better look at the shine.

Layers and lace

She has inspired many of those pretty cake toppers

Wondering why I am the only one taking her picture...

The splash of blue was nice on a cloudy day and complimented this mermaid look.

You don't need a limo when you can do this to your car

Car topper
But these folks got a serious limo

These two are my favorite-wait for the close up.....

Unbelievable. This photo and the two before are credited to my friend Kristen-well done!



1 comment:

  1. That last picture was a hot mess. lol... Glad to see you are getting to travel the world like you always wanted. : ) (Latham)

    ReplyDelete